A few days ago, I posted an inquiry on the subject issue, and the
problem is still unresolved. Following is the error message that I see
rapidly repeated on the screen non-stop until I totally power-off the
computer:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 1333: /bin/usleep: Input Output error

Stephen wrote: ... find the file being referenced and see what line
1333 contains.

The file rc.sysinit has 1384 lines . I have uploaded that complete
file at this URL: http://www.vsiq.com/temp/rc.sysinit.txt.  Here are
the lines surrounding line 1333:

1329    if [ "$PROMPT" != no ]; then
1330        while :; do
1331            pid=$(/sbin/pidof getkey)
1332            [ -n "$pid" -o -e /var/run/getkey_done ] && break
1333            usleep 100000
1334        done
1335        [ -n "$pid" ] && kill -TERM "$pid" >/dev/null 2>&1

That rc.sysinit file has the same file date and diff indicates that it
has the same content as the file by the same name on one of my other
computers that is running the same operating system.

Likewise, the file 'usleep' referred to on line 1333 has the same file
date and file size as that same file on my other computer running the
same operating system.  While I realize that 'usleep' is apparently a
binary file, I uploaded it at this URL as:
http://www.vsiq.com/temp/usleep.txt (I realize this file should not
have a .txt suffix, so it needs to be renamed.)

I also uploaded two other files that might contain clues for someone
more knowledgable than I (which is, of course, just about everybody on
the plug list).

http://www.vsiq.com/temp/dead.letter.txt
http://www.vsiq.com/temp/dmesg.txt

Hope someone can help me solve this problem.