Mark Jarvis wrote:

> 2) A friend has a Canon Pixma IP 1500 printer that he's trying to get
> working on his Ubuntu 9.04 installation. Although the IP 2000 is
> supported, the 1500 is not. He's managed to find, download, and install
> drivers for it (quite impressive for someone that is very new to Linux)
> but is now stumped by a "missing filter" message. I've never had to jump
> through the hoops that he's already done and don't really know what sort
> of a filter could be missing. Any suggestions?
>
>  From the specs, the (unsupported) IP 1500 seem to be the same basic
>  engine as the (supported) IP 2000, just degraded slightly in speed &
>  memory. I've faked out systems before by telling the add printer wizard
>  that I really had a similar--but supported--printer, but that was with an
>  LPT connection. How does one do something similar with a USB connection?
>  (I'm hampered here in that I'm trying to help via phone and haven't
>  actually seen his box or the choices on his screen.) This should be the
>  easiest way to get him up & running.

http://rix.si/?ip1500
-or-
http://www.canon-
europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/2005/download.asp?ComponentID=369142&SourcePageID=312227#1

it's a SUSE RPM but it should be easily convertable to deb using alien. Or
you can extract it and find any of a thousand guides online to install
printer filters manually.

Enjoy

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat Writer

Please refrain from mailing me directly in replies, I am subsribing
via GMane NNTP. Thank you.

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonale...@gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonale...@yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  phrkon...@irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
      countless other FOSS channels.