On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Trent Shipley <tship...@deru.com> wrote:

> This is for curiosity,  I'm not presently trying to implement Windows
> networking using a Linux box as the Primary Domain Controller.  How
> would a Linux PDC emulate Active Directory Services?  Do you still need
> a server grade Windows license running to provide ADS?

yes you're able to use Samba as a PDC, and use LDAP(or openLDAP) as back-end
auth, even work with windows 7,
on howtoforge.com will show you hot to setup one, it is with Centos 5.x but,
wit a little modification work with any distro,
good luck

with Centos 5.x
http://www.howtoforge.com/centos-5.x-samba-domain-controller-with-ldap-backend

with ubuntu 7.10