Make sure to do your home work on whatever software you are proposing at
the time.
For instance, if you want to propose the GIMP, make sure that you have
teaching materials, tutorials and other support sites at hand so that
whoever takes a look at your recommendation will immediately see that it
is a serious contender.

Make sure you point out that all of this software is available to the
students at home at no cost.  It's a lot easier for students to work on
assignments when any computer that they work on, including their own can
have the software available that they need.

Brian