Learn the command-line using BASH, then use BASH as your first programming
language. The transition is seamless. BASH provides the three things you
need to write a structured program:  sequence, selection, repetition. In
addition, it has functions and the array data structure. From BASH move onto
C. Learn the entire language along with most of the STDC Library (it's one
of the greatest libraries of all-time). After C, the paths you can take are
plentiful.

The simplest hello world program I've encountered (assume $ is the PS1
prompt)...

$ echo hello, world