On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 22:09 -0700, Eric Cope wrote:
> so far...
> Redmine required:
> rack 1.0.1 (latest 1.1.0, had to use gem install rack -v 1.0.1)
> test_spec
> camping
> fcgi
>
> I can not seem to install fcgi. here is the output...
>
> ERROR:  Error installing fcgi:
>     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install fcgi
> checking for fcgiapp.h... no
> checking for fastcgi/fcgiapp.h... no
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> Provided configuration options:
>     --with-opt-dir
>     --without-opt-dir
>     --with-opt-include
>     --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
>     --with-opt-lib
>     --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
>     --with-make-prog
>     --without-make-prog
>     --srcdir=.
>     --curdir
>     --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby
>     --with-fcgi-dir
>     --without-fcgi-dir
>     --with-fcgi-include
>     --without-fcgi-include=${fcgi-dir}/include
>     --with-fcgi-lib
>     --without-fcgi-lib=${fcgi-dir}/lib
>

> Gem files will remain installed
> in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.8 for inspection.
> Results logged
> to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.8/ext/fcgi/gem_make.out
----
fcgid is probably the worst way imaginable to actually serve ruby pages.

use mongrel or passenger (I definitely recommend passenger). To get
passenger installed, you would have to install httpd-devel package.
Mongrel doesn't need that but you would struggle with getting the older
version of httpd on CentOS to proxy the connections to the mongrel
ports. But for development, you could probably just use webrick...

script/server

to start the server.

fcgid (or the much better passenger) are for deploying but in
development, just use webrick for now to get going. It's been so long
since I used fcgid, that I forgot what is needed (probably httpd-devel)
and maybe some other things but the truth is that fcgid still sucks.

Craig

believed to be clean.