On Mar 30, 2010, at 4:26 PM, der.hans wrote:

Am 30. Mär, 2010 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

moin moin Alex,

what you wrote below is the best ganglia guide I've found. By far the best
I've found! Danke!

No problem. Glad it helps. Maybe I'll turn it into a blog post at some point. I'll have to find the references I used in learning this stuff, but I remember it being pretty opaque.

Both give exit status of 0.
It's not showing up in /var/ganglia/rrds.
Who should own those rrds files? We have them owned by root, but gmond
runs as an unprivileged user?

They need to be writable by the user running gmetad (nobody?), and readable by the Apache user.

Does ganglia automagically create the rrd files? User running gmetad needs
write perms for the rrd dir?

Yes. Any time gmetad sees a new metric, it will create a new RRD file and that data will be automatically graphed in the PHP web app. I haven't worked with string metrics much, but I think those might be an exception, and be in-memory only. You might try generating some numeric metrics as well, since those should flow all the way to the filesystem on the gmetad box.

Using ls in the rrds directory is another debugging route you could try (once you get permissions sorted out). There's a delay between when gmetad sees a new metric and when it actually creates the rrd file, but I don't think it's very long.

alex