I've stayed out of this latest round of off-topic threads.  I am happy
to see vibrant discussion.  I am unhappy to see personal attacks and
other silliness.  I'm unhappy to see it go on and on.

This is enough.  It's just enough.

I don't go to a email list or forum on topic A to be drown in
discussions about topic W.  That topic W may be important, the points
and counter-points offered in brilliance and courtesy doesn't matter.
If the venue is supposed to be about topic A, the majority of the
conversation should be about topic A.  Etiquette and respect for the
community around the chosen topic dictate that other topics should be
minimal.

It doesn't matter how strongly you feel about what someone said about
some off-topic post.  Continuing to reply off-topic such that the main
purpose of the community is drowning into the background is
disrespectful.  Don't do it.  For example, it would be rude of me to
go to a meeting of alcoholics anonymous and use my turn to talk so
that I might espouse the benefits of a vegetarian diet.  Don't do it.

- Using the delete key is not the answer because that only masks the
destruction of the group's purpose.  And only masks it for one person.
 Same with filters.
- Flagging as "OT" is helpful but when the OT posts dwarf the
purpose-oriented information, such a tag is nearly useless.
- Moderation is not the answer because that will suck volunteer's time
and smacks of "babysitter-ism"  Do we really need to be forced into
good manners?  Really?

This is a Linux email list created by a Linux User Group for the
purposes of discussing Linux and subjects directly related to Linux.
Period.  Politics should only be discussed when it directly effects
Linux/OSS/FS use and promotion in some way.  To continue all this
discussion of boycotts, immigration and the like is killing the core
meaning of the group.

Stop.  Please.

Alan