Jim March wrote:
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Mark Phillips
<m...@phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
I was looking at the Cavalry CADA-SA2-B (2 TB external eSata RAID 1 (2 X 2
TB drives)) drive as a backup drive for 5 users using BackupPC. Anyone have
experience with this product or Cavalry external drives in general. It must
be new as there aren't any user reviews on Newegg.

Thanks!

Mark

Here's the problem: nobody can really answer that.

When you buy an external drive from a company that does NOT make hard
disks themselves, you have no clue what's really in there until you
either pop open the case or query it with a good format tool - gparted
for example will tell you what the drive is.

Right now Western Digital makes the best drives, by a bit.  Seagate
isn't far behind.  Maxtor is Seagate's budget line now, avoid.
Hitachi sucks.  Toshiba isn't much better.

If you buy a "Cavalry", you don't know what the heck is in there...pig
in a poke situation.

If they'll sell you a chassis with no drives in it so you can add your
own, cool.

Jim

What Jim said. :)

I haven't tried Cavalry HW - been a little leary of them for no good reason, just gut feel. I could be off on that. So short answer is "no".

I've used Acomdata enclosures. Their customer service is outstanding. They handled returns/exchanges for me with no hassles, when the problem was the HDD I put in it. Oops.

I'll be using Acomdata enclosures from now on. I buy the bare drives separately, so I know what I'm getting (as Jim said). I wouldn't be surprised if Acomdata would tell you what's in a given unit if you asked them though.

--
-Eric 'shubes'