keith smith wrote:

I was looking around and found SERVICEDIR="/etc/init.d" in the /sbin/service file. So I took a look in the /etc/init.d and found pure-ftpd.

So I issued : /sbin/service pure-ftpd stop

which returned :

Stopping pure-config.pl: cat: /var/run/pure-ftpd.pid: No such file or directory

kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

Far from elegant, but it appears that pure-ftpd wasn't running.

# service pure-ftpd status

usually will tell you if a service is running or not.

As a test I issued : /sbin/service vsftpd stop

which returned : vsftpd: unrecognized service

Then vsftpd isn't installed.

# rpm -qf /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd
will tell you the name of the package that owns the init script.
# rpm -e <package>
or
# yum remove <package>
will remove it.
Then you might want to reboot to be sure it's not running any more. If you have sftp working, chances are pretty good that pure-ftpd isn't running, unless you're using non-standard ports.

--
-Eric 'shubes'