On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Lisa Kachold wrote:

It can be used for malicious reasons.

so can almost any tool

As you later note:

It is not cheap. Free applications and online tools exist to do the samething.

drop in a VNC server, pre-key it, and hide it from the process table listing, and one is home in a Windows environment; munge a kernel module, and one can attain the same effect in Linux. Apple has similar in OS/X ...

back to the lead post ...

It is currently being used by NSA and government surveillance of citizens of interest, or it can be used for technical support purposes.

A strong assertion. A search turns up just another vendor, in the marketing hunt trying to sell to the Homeland Security 'garrison state'
        http://www.kaseya.com/
with a FIPS-140-2 certification. They are co-marketing with Microsoft
        http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/software-solutions.aspx
and they seem to advert having sold to the U S Air Force

Conspicuously absent from a google search is non 'tinfoil hat' evidence beyond supposition and capabilities, and actually showing improper use by a federal agency

Please, prove me wrong with URLs I missed

-- Russ herrold