You are attempting to change "Linux style" group settings on files in
a vfat file system.  That will not work.  The vfat file system does
not have a way to set or change group ownership.

The error message is not worded very well.  It should say something
like "Cannot set group ownership in vfat (FAT32) file system"

Alan