On 09/16/2010 07:16 PM, keith smith wrote:
> I need to support Drupal and am wondering if you can recommend a book,
> or any resource, that can take me from not knowing a thing to knowing
> enough.
One of the biggest parts of learning Drupal is the data model it uses
(nodes and types of nodes), and how modules work together and what
modules there are. Learning about nodes is easy once you know that's
what you need to know. Learning how the modules interact with each other
is a bit more complex, there are literally thousands of modules that are
published on the Drupal website including a few pretty essential ones
that don't ship with Drupal by default (in case you are installing).

A few books I have on Drupal:

Using Drupal (O'Reilly) http://books.google.com/books?id=LVz8q2qYQNUC
http://www.usingdrupal.com/
Using Drupal is fairly comprehensive and goes through the data model,
users, nodes, what modules are, and spotlights many of the top modules
and has a few examples of websites and what modules you put together to
make it happen. It mostly focuses on functionality. Going through some
of the examples will be helpful, certainly this is one of the first
books you would want to look at.

More specialized books include:

Pro Drupal Development (Apress)
http://books.google.com/books?id=aWYOGXQShegC
http://apress.com/book/view/1430209895
For low, code-level customization, creating your own modules, etc, Pro
Drupal Development covers writing a module; integrating with Drupal
libraries like menus, themes, nodes, users, i18n, etc; and some of the
libraries it ships with like JQuery.

Drupal 6 Themes (Packt Publishing)
http://books.google.com/books?id=1RfbOAAACAAJ
https://www.packtpub.com/drupal-6-themes/book
Drupal 6 Themes covers how to change the style of blocks, nodes, or
entire themes, and how to write a new one. Using Drupal has a nice
chapter on themes and how the system works, which is probably adequate.

Austin Wright.