Try http://www.pdftoword.com/. If the file is a true PDF and not an image embedded in a PDF file, they will convert it and email the resulting word file back to you. The resulting file can be edited in Open Office or whatever.

BTW, every so often someone sends me a scanned document embedded in a PDF file instead of just sending a JPEG or TIFF file. Why do they do that? I have to use Photoshop to convert it to a standard image format so that I can run it through OCR.

Mark

Tim Bogart wrote:
All,

I have been asked to provide information as part of a job application.  In the first part of the process, this was done on the web.  Now in this next phase, I have been asked to provide information by filling out forms.  They would prefer to have an electronic version of this data.  Unfortunately, they have sent me a document in .PDF file format.  As we all have known for 20 years or more, these files are normally set to disallow editing, as this one is.  I'm familiar with pdf2txt and the rest of the manual tools.  I could go to the local service bureau and print out twenty of them, but I don't want to spend three days doing this.  Open office doesn't seem to be able to open a pdf formatted file.  Does anybody know of a free (as in beer or freedom) application that runs on windoze that will allow me to edit this file?  I tried something called "Foxit" but it doesn't work as advertised.  You can't edit text with it.  It acts simply as a viewer.  Does anybody have personal experience with something that's free that actually works?

TIA,

-- Tim B.