It's probably good that you pointed that out Steve.  I've never been a
graphic designer but I've done a lot of websites in my time.  One of my 'big
beefs' with a lot of websites is that they make no effort whatsoever to be
usable with simpler browser technologies.
In a few cases I've sat down with someone and fired up lynx (or links) to
show someone what a blind person probably 'sees' on their site and more
importantly to them (usually and unfortunately) what Google will see when
they try to index their site.  That is REALLLY entertaining when it is an
all-flash site which neither lynx or Google can read :)

I've always suspected that sites that relied too heavily on JavaScript don't
work well or at all for people that are blind.  My non-scientific test for
most sites is to try to buy their product or get a critical piece of
information using only a text based browser like lynx or links. MANY times
it is that dumb piece of 'on click' code that is doing input validation that
is the gatekeeper prevented me from completing the sale or from changing
from one page to another.  I haven't tried that on an ajax / 'web2.0' site
but suspect I'd be SOL trying to use them.  How advanced are the screen
readers/etc now days?

The other thing I usually try to show people that rely ONLY
on JavaScript for input validation is that not only can I turn
off JavaScript but I can also circumvent their so called 'security' and put
complete garbage data in their database (or worse do sql injection) because
they chose to be a bit lazy about input validation and to not ALSO do input
validation on the server side.  I usually only put in simple JavaScript such
as alert boxes and opt to do all of the important logic on the server side
where they'll have a harder time circumventing it.  That said it has been
quite a while since I've built an entire site from scratch... I'm wondering
if I could buy one of my own products from my Joomla based shopping cart
using links!

JD