On 11/16/2010 06:16 PM, ChasM Marshall wrote:
Hiya,
I just want to verify location and time of the next
Westside Avondale/Goodyear informal "Stammtisch" meet.
"Sal's Tusan Grill" on McDowell at 7:00 pm this Thursday the 18th?
Or is that "Tuscan"... Or is that Wednesday the 17th?
The PLUG website needs work. It's calendar thinks today is the 17th.
I think today is the 16th (in the PM).

Multi-Boot vs. VM:
There's been some talk about using Win XP in Linux VM emulation
for developing/debugging web pages. Specifically, for that buggy M$ I.E.
This method may be OK when using XP's Internet Explorer,
but what will you do when M$ upgrades Vista and Seven but not XP?
Vista and Seven do not allow running in VM (by E.U.L.A. license).
Microsoft ain't stupid. XP is about ready for the upgrade cascade.
Lately, the "ntfsresize" utility has been wonderous with NTFS partitions.
Instead of VM, I do not hesitate to recommend a "grub" multi-boot
(using a newer M$ system) to avoid when XP's I.E. becomes
yet another software-war casualty.
I recently aquired an 80Gb laptop and have set it up as multi-boot.
Currently it's a work-in-progress, but XP and Fedora 12 are so far
happy together, with room for Win98 and a second major Linux distro.

Stammtisch:
I'd love to show it off, and discuss grub's capabilities at the meet.
So, where and when is the next Westside Stammtisch? Really.

(-: Chas.M. :-)

I really prefer VMs over dual booting. Who wouldn't? Besides running both concurrently, there are no boot conflicts of any kind.

I'm not intimately familiar with MS's EULA, so I could be breaking the agreement. I have converted both XP and Vista to VMs, and they run fine (under VMware Player 2.5 and up). AFA I'm concerned, Windows is still running on the hardware it was licensed for, albeit indirectly.

When doing a Windoze VM, you just need to be careful to activate the license *after* converting to a VM if possible. This can be a problem for preexisting installations, because after converting to a VM Windoze "thinks" it's running on different hardware, and thus requires reactivation, which may or may not be allowed depending on the particular license. The OEM license is different from the retail license, at least with XP. I don't know about Vista/7.

BL, if MS doesn't allow Windoze to be run under (other) VM hosts, I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

--
-Eric 'shubes'