These are part of an interesting (IMO) trend toward using less traditional
system architectures, in this case using much less powerful ARM chips (an ARM
does a lot less per clock than an equivalent x86_64 CPU) in large numbers to
provide basic (i.e. low per-page computation) web services, to more effectively
fill a target niche.
Website serving (in most cases) is exactly the type of low-CPU high-I/O task
that's perfectly suited to very large numbers of weak CPU cores.  Each request
can easily run on a different core, but pushing a page (even one generated from
*simple* JSP/ASP/PHP) takes very little CPU.  Running a lot more cores helps,
but running expensive fast cores does not (this is mitigated somewhat by
event-driven servers like NginX, but more cores is still better).  You will
need a ton of network and disk I/O, but things like tcp-splice, tcp-offload, a
copy-free TCP stack, memcached, membase, FusionIO cards, etc... are making that
a very reasonable proposition for a Linux system like these.
As a side note, that's always been the advantage of Mainframes (which are still
used for a LOT of stuff) for similar types of line-of-business tasks (like
transaction processing); they don't have a lot of raw CPU, but they can push
bits at rates an x86 couldn't dream of matching.
The advantage of these ARM based systems over a distributed or mainframe-type
system is that they're a few orders of magnitude less expensive, ideally suited
to web serving, and use vastly less space, power, and cooling than a commodity
system with the same page-per-second capacity.
I would never even think of using one for something like a database server, but
as the web front-end they're pretty close to ideal.

GPU computing (e.g. CUDA or OpenCL) is another example of alternative, more
targeted, architecture; this time for extremely parallel high-CPU/low-I/O tasks
(the opposite of what these ARM boxes are suited to).

I predict that we will see a continuing diversification of system types as
different types of tasks and new computing techniques drive a need for a wider
variety of non-traditional architectures.  I read an interesting article on the
IEEE website today about using memristors as a similarly novel computing
architecture to accomplish tasks currently solved by neural processing
algorithms because a memristor array acts, in some ways, like a neural array.

I should note here that these ARM systems won't replace x86 systems, just as
x86 hasn't replaced mainframes.  These new architectures will expand the
diversity of systems in use; existing systems will still be used where they
make sense, and these new systems will take over in niches where they
significantly outperform existing approaches.