I don't have to go into a rant here. I will say this; the core programmers at
the NVDA project are like me: blind. need I say more?

-Eric

 ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:50:07 +0200
(IST)
From: Geoff Shang <ge...@quitelikely.com>
To: n...@freelists.org
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Needs You

Hi,

The following has been posted  on the NVDA website:

http://www.nvda-project.org/blog/NVDANeedsYou

NVDA Needs You

  As you are all aware, NV Access, the organisation which develops NVDA,
  is a non-profit organisation which is predicated on making software for
  the blind that requires no extra cost than the purchase of a computer.
  What you may not know, however, is that to do this, we must seek grants
  or donations from larger organisations to survive. Unfortunately, the
  present financial climate has meant that these grants are much less
  forthcoming than in the past, despite the accolades that NVDA has
  received over the past couple of years.

  Jamie and Mick, the core developers of NVDA, are essentially paid
  minimum wage for their experience, knowledge and skills, which they are
  prepared to accept because they love the fact that they are making a
  positive contribution to the blind community and the accessibility
  industry more generally. Despite their willingness to carry on,
  however, there will be no money to pay them after July 2011 unless we
  receive some financial assistance. Rest assured, we will be seeking
  grants from and alliances with other companies, but the stark reality
  is that these may not come to fruition in time to save NVDA. In short,
  we desperately need your help.

  For the last release of NVDA, our records indicate that there were
  50,000 downloads. Even if we discount 20,000 for those who may have
  downloaded NVDA multiple times, we are left with 30,000 individual
  users. If every user donated $10 today, we would have $300,000 that we
  could use to pay Jamie and Mick to continue to develop NVDA full time
  for the foreseeable future.

  We are very proud that we provide a free and open source screen reader
  for our community and for the accessibility industry to use. The
  principles that underlie the decision to make NVDA free and open source
  are as important to the committee of NV Access now as they were when
  Mick first envisaged the potential of NVDA. However, for NVDA to be
  developed in the way that you have become accustomed, we need your
  help. We are not being greedy or exploitative, merely pragmatic and
  honest. Please think of how NVDA might have helped you, or may help
  others, and donate today.

  We sincerely thank you for any contribution you can make.

  The NV Access Committee
http://www.nvaccess.org/wiki/Donate
Or by purchasing voices from Ivona TTS:
http://www.ivona.com/accessibility.php