>H ey Dennis,
>
>It seems to me that "Introduction to Linux" is probably a bad title for
>the class. It seems from the description it's closer to "Basic System
>Administration of Linux." I, for one, would hope that we're at the
>point where the introduction to Linux in general doesn't include a
>command line.
>
> --Ted

Hi Ted,

(Aside: I'm trying to get Zimbra to bottom post. It's not easy.)

As der.hans pointed out that's the official title. I get students that range
from never having seen Linux before to sysadmins at GoDaddy. The intro class is
required for all CIS students

I start out with Ubuntu since it's easy to install anywhere and has good
support for VirtualBox. I want students to get excited about Linux if they have
never seen it before. After a couple of weeks with Ubuntu we install CentOS
either on the system or as a VM. This gives them a taste of the Red Hat way of
doing things and lets us explore some things (runlevels, GRUB) that Ubuntu
makes, well, just too easy. :-)

>From the beginning I show them how the command line can automate a simple task
>that if done in the GUI would take much longer. We do spend quite a bit of
>time working in the CLI. Some students have come back and told me that was the
>part they liked best about the class. Others, well, just don't like to type.
>(This from the generation that can type 30 wpm with their thumbs while
>navigating an LA freeway.)

I wonder what things will be like in 3~5 years when keyboards are obsolete and
everything has a touchscreen?

Dennis