The only way I can gain access to the shares is to use the following. I
created a new share called 'fred' and deleted the other shares:

mount.cifs   //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/fred   /home/nas_share   -o user=user_name
password=pass

Of course, umount.cifs is no longer in Debian, but umount -f works to
unmount the share.

I cannot get rsync to work. According to the man page the following should
return a list of shares:

rsync rsync://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/

Nothing is returned (eg a blank line). I tried telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 873
and I got the rsync response @RSYNCD: 30.0, so the daemon is running, I
suppose.

The following all return 'unknown module' regardless of what name I put
after the url (array1_fred, , array0_fred array2_fred)

rsync some_file rsync://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/array1_fred/

or a '/' instead of a '_' returns the same error for module array1, array2,
array0. I also tried Array[0,1,2] with the same result. Some of the web
pages show the name as Array 1, so I tried the capital A and a space, but
still not luck.

When I ftp into the box, the path to fred is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/array1/fred.

I tried restarting the Linkstation, and no change.

I also tried the alternative rsync format, rsync some_file
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::array1_fred, and that did not work.

Any more ideas on how to get rsync to work?

Thanks!

Mark