IPCop wont work for what he needs. IPCop is a layer3 firewall, he is
looking for one that does stuff like examine the sql query before it
hits the database.

Unfortunately, I can't help on this much more than that. I left the
company where I needed to be concerned about PCI before they required
application firewalls. I think the F5's do it very well, but they
aren't open source although they do run on Linux and you can actually
get a shell and have scripts on the appliances.