Same here. When I first heard of this, I said to myself: "Bet these systems run on windows."

On 11/20/2011 14:00, Lisa Kachold wrote:

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Michael Butash <mich...@butash.net <mailto:mich...@butash.net>> wrote:

    There was some idle chat here prior about Stuxnet and how it
    almost single-handed stopped or at least delayed Iran's Nuclear
    aspirations, and I'd commented on how there was a variant called
    Duqu that was running rampant in our SCADA systems that run
    municipal water.

    Seems our environmentals that run cities have and are being
    exploited more frequently with more disclosures in the past few
    days of incidents in Springfield Illinois and Houston Texas.  Not
    only do I guarantee security on these systems and networks not up
    to par, their embedded and obscure nature means they probably
    aren't even regularly patched to take advantage.  In the
    Springfield incident they actually caused damage to a critical
    pump, and it's only going to continue to get worse as it's now
    being talked about more mainstream and word spreads.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/17/water_utility_hacked/

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/18/second_water_utility_hack/

    I know I sleep better at night knowing all this software runs on
    old windoze systems!  Even better is how they're talking about in
    here how they are often now internet connected systems so they can
    be managed remotely to save costs (i.e. outsource it).  Maybe
    letting the Chinese government run our city water systems isn't
    quite what they had in mind, but anything to save a buck in these
    trying times I suppose...

    -mb

chortle! snort!
--