the name "player" in the name of it is the biggest hint. the player is designed
to show off or demonstrate an OS inside the VM. it is generally considered to
be read only. you need a full version vmware server capable of running any OS
in read-write mode). there is a free version vmware-server )I think it is the
version 1 series) that you can still download from vmware. they make a version
for both windows and linux. this free server doesn't have a corresponding kind
on OS X. on that OS, you have to use VMware-fusion (and it is not free).

hope this helps

-eric