1- I D/L a distribution
2- because I have no RW DVDs I burn the CD version
3- I install the CD version
4- After running the the install there is an ICON that says 'upgrade to the
DVD' so I upgrade
5- my system starts to panic when running off of the battery so it is
wisely suggested to upgrade  my kernel.  So I am doing so it asks me what
kernel I am running. It had been said on the list that my kernel is the 64
bit kind but when I tried to upgrade to the 64bit kernel the computer
complained and said 'wrong architecture'.
6- I installed the kernel for the i386 and have been happily running it now
for a couple of days

Questions:
Was I supposed to do something to make it see that it is a 64?
Would it run if an i386 was installed on a 64?
Does it really matter?
--