That should be ok.

Be sure you have your ftp server configured such that they cannot access folders above/across their home folder. File permissions may handle this, but probably will not (many things are world readable).

Also, be sure that they cannot login to a command prompt by setting their login shell to /sbin/nologin (might vary with distro). This is commonly done for service accounts (apache, etc).