Hi James;

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM, James Dugger <james.dug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if a Linux server can identify windows users connected to
> the server through a Samba share, where Samba has not been configured as a
> domain controller (i.e. samba is resolving user accounts with smbpasswd
> only).  Are the windows users always synced with a UNIX user?
>
> I am writing a bash script for a rather peculiar backup scenario where
> laptops running Windows 7 are backed up to a server when/if they are
> connected to the LAN using rsync.  There is no local DNS server or domain
> controller installed in the LAN (other than the router which is only
> configured for DHCP service).  I had planned to use the following to
> generate a list of connected users:
>
>     who | cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq > /srv/backup/user.lst
>
> This list would then be read into a bash array and used to iterate the
> backup script for those known connected users.  However, If I can't verify
> Windows users that are connected is there a clean non-taxing way to test
> for the mac addresses of the connected laptops  over the LAN?  I know that
> using:
>
>     nmap -sP <ip address range>
>
>  will return the mac address along with other info, but I don't know if
> there is a way to get a clean mac address only list from scan.

> Thanks
>

> --
> James
>

> You can use netstat to compare with the list of mac addresses for Windows.

You can also use OCS Inventory to maintain your Windows7 mac list more
easily (so you don't have to get the mac's and hand maintain the list). It
runs a client on both linux and windows systems that gives all manner of
great info.

Example Flow Chart:

# netstat -antp | grep smbd

Then use:
awk $5 > $list

compare $list with your flat file list of windows7 users

and rsync away.

Full get mac address line might look like this:

netstat -an | grep :80 | awk ‘{print $4}’
or this:
netstat -an | grep :80 | awk ‘{print $4}’ | awk -F: ‘{print $1}’ | sort |
uniq

stuff into a variable:

modify this backup script snarfed from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4674167/helpful-suggestions-for-bash-backup-script-for-samba-shares-using-rsync