On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Ben Browning wrote:

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM, R P Herrold <herr...@owlriver.com> wrote:

It and CentOS are almost indistinguishable to a sysadmin who i not a
distribution builder; the remaining principal of the distribution is: Connie
Sieh, who is a friend.  the other long time member recently went to work at
Red Hat

My understanding is that it's a limited release cycle to aid in
stability from a development point of view.

Nope ... tracks along with RHEL, just like CentOS, PU-IAS, and others

If the patch cycle is as
quick as Cent/RHEL, it may be prod-ready.

net patch cycles have historically track out substantially identically; CentOS just completed a re-engineering cycle with the 6 major release which, with any luck, will shorten the release turn

But saying "It's
indistinguishable from CentOS" just makes me think "Why not just use
CentOS then?" If it lacks any compelling, distinguishing feature , I
don't know why I wouldn't use the ubiquitous, widely supported option.

Under that argument, simply pay for RHEL [1]. Diversity is good

-- Russ herrold

[1] http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-saw-mommy-kissing-santa.html
and
    http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/03/nine-pregnant-gals-in-queue.html