What I meant was that whomever is hosting the proxy server might be looking
to steal your information (ie you connect to YourBank.com through the proxy
and they use a MitM attack to strip the SSL from the session and take your
account info). I never assumed you had any interest in illegal activity of
any kind. As for knocking on doors, a proxy will provide a good layer of
obfuscation. Daisy-chaining them is even better. You'll probably want to
use a SOCKS proxy.

Any public access point like Starbucks provides great anonymity as well.
All roads eventually lead to the IP, but if that IP is used by hundreds of
different people, then you could only be reliably identified by other
factors. Unfortunately, though, most public access points run their traffic
through a local web proxy that limits what kind of traffic you can send
(generally doesn't play well with any traffic destined for ports not
typical for web browsing).