well this is quite interesting, and i cant tell if archos is paying
the MS tax yet either.

http://armdevices.net/2011/06/10/archos-gen8-tablets-can-multi-boot-froyo-gingerbread-debian-angstrom-ubuntu-chromium-os-and-more/

but the tablets are not bad seeming and pretty inexpensive...
certainly worth some investigateing if tey can run full linux OS's

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Michael Butash <mich...@butash.net> wrote:
> This reeks of Transformer, so I'm curious which was chicken/egg.
>
> Then found this there:
>
> "Since 2011, Always Innovating doesn't sell any more to individual consumers
> and has focused its activities on licensing business.
>
> The economics of selling to individual consumers doesn't make sense any more
> for a relatively small player when top-tier players are starting a price war
> on tablet and similar devices. Instead Always Innovating is now licensing
> all its innovations, including the latest HDMI Dongle, to manufacturers all
> over the world.
>
> If you have any interest to license one of our products, please register
> here."
>
> Sounds like a patent troll in the making...
>
> Sadly, it does not make sense to be a small provider of niche hardware like
> tablets when trying to compete with the likes of asus, samsung, and lg that
> make *your* displays and chips.  They will always get better products first,
> and use them to crush your product in volume sales.
>
> -mb
>

> On 01/21/2012 05:12 PM, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>>
>> Check out the smartbook (which is a PDA, Tablet, and netbook in one
>> device).  It runs Linux and Android factory-installed.
>>        http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/smartbook.htm
>>
>> They also have a neat little dongle that runs android and connects to any
>> HDMI port to display on a TV.
>>
>> On 01/21/2012 04:27 PM, j...@actionline.com wrote:
>>>

>>> Which tablet(s) the best for Linux applications?
>>>
>>> I bought an ipad 1 for my wife and while it is nice in many ways, it has
>>> also resulted in much frustration (so it is for sale cheap). Now I'm
>>> trying to figure out which 10" tablet might be the best option.  I want
>>> be able to copy a lot of my files and websites (html code) onto the
>>> tablet
>>> so I will have quick access to my data even when there is no wireless
>>> connection.
>>>
>>> Asus Transformer $449 + $150 for a doc with keyboard and extra battery
>>> life
>>> Acer $349 - I like that it has a standard USB to plug in a keyboard
>>> Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
>>> Toshiba
>>> Xoom
>>> What else?