Hi Joe;

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM, <j...@actionline.com> wrote:

> Thanks for responding Brian.
>
> You wrote:
> > Try checking the error policy for the printer.
> > Printers -> the printer that is having problems -> Set default options
> > -> policies
>
> Where can I do this?  I can't find anyplace where there is an option
> to select "the printer that is having problems" and/or where to set
> Default options to "retry-job"
>
> At this browser address: http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/
> there is a "printers" tab, but under that I cannot find
> any place to set default options.
>
> Also cannot find anything like that in "Control Center"
>
> > Make sure that Error policy is set to "retry-job".  If it's set to "stop
> > printer", every time you have any kind of printing error, the print
> > server for that particular queue will be set to stopped, and I believe
> > it will even survive a server reset or even a reboot.
> >
> > If you have multiple users printing from this system or have it setup to
> > serve to multiple machines, you might want to go to Administration and
> > under server settings and check off "Allow users to cancel any job (not
> > just their own)"  That way a print queue can't get jammed up by someone
> > that printers something and then walks away leaving a bad print job
> > jamming up the queue with no way for someone else to clear it.
> >
> > As for your error, check the permissions for /etc/cups/printers.conf
>
> At this location, this is what I find:
>
> -rw------- 1 root sys 130 Mar  7 21:55 printers.conf.O
> -rw------- 1 root sys 130 Mar  7 21:56 printers.conf
>
> And here is the content of "printers.conf":
>
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.6
> # Written by cupsd on 2012-03-07 22:05
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
>
> > If everything else fails, you can always edit that file directly and
> > remove the section of config that corresponds with the offending printer.
>
> How should I edit that file?  What content should be added there?

Note that if one or both lines start with “iF” instead of “ii” then this
appears to signify the installation failed to complete correctly.  Remove
the installation completely by editing (AFTER BACKING UP ALL FILES to be
able to roll back after):

1. In System, Administration, Printers, delete the printer in question. You
might also need to browse to http://localhost:631 and delete it in the CUPS
printer list if it shows up there.

2. Go into a terminal, then gksudo nautilus
which will open Nautilus with root permissions.

3. Use nautilus to go to folder /var/lib/dpkg/info

Find all of the files that are named with your printer concatenated with
"cupswrapper" "${printername}cupswrapper..." and delete them.

sudo grep $printername  *
del $filename

"status" in gEdit. Do a File Save As and called it status.backup. Close,
and re-open the file "status" (not the backup copy). Search for
"$printername". You should find a paragraph starting with the words
"Package: $printernamecupswrapper" Delete that section and save the file.

5. Now repeat the process outlined in step 4, but with the file called
"available".

You should now be able to go to a terminal and run sudo dpkg --configure -a
without any errors.

> > Brian Cluff
>
> > On 03/07/2012 07:09 PM, j...@actionline.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Cups printing had been working fine on my system for a long time,
> >> but then recently it has begun to quit working correctly and I can't
> >> figure out why. I can get it restarted sometimes, but then it will just
> >> quit working again and I have to go through a bunch of steps to get it
> >> restarted.
> >>
> >> In the Control Center>>  System>>  Manage system services by enabling
> >> etc.
> >> it shows cups running. Then I go to Hardware>  Configure printing and
> >> scanning>  Set up printers, etc. Sometimes it shows the printer has
> >> vanished and I have to reset it again. Other times it is there. When I
> >> do
> >> 'lpstat' it shows a document waiting to be printed, but it does not
> >> print.
> >>
> >> How can I get this reset so it will not continually quit printing and
> >> have
> >> to get restarted again? If 'lpstat' shows a document waiting to be
> >> printed
> >> and it shows the printer to be enabled, but "idle" ... what command
> >> could I
> >> use to get the printer to restart and print the waiting document?
> >>
> >> $ lpstat -t ... shows the following:
> >> scheduler is running
> >> system default destination: HPLaserJet4
> >> device for HPLaserJet4: ///dev/null
> >> device for HPPSC1200: ipp://192.168.0.73:631/printers/HPPSC1200
> >> HPLaserJet4 accepting requests since Fri 02 Mar 2012 05:20:37 PM MST
> >> HPPSC1200 accepting requests since Fri 02 Mar 2012 06:12:43 PM MST
> >> printer HPLaserJet4 is idle.  enabled since Fri 02 Mar 2012 05:20:37 PM
> >> MST
> >> printer HPPSC1200 is idle.  enabled since Fri 02 Mar 2012 06:12:43 PM
> >> MST
> >> HPLaserJet4-47          joe              66560   Fri 02 Mar 2012
> >> 08:44:02
> >> PM MST
> >>
> >> As root, I tried this: service cups restart ... and got this result:
> >> Stopping CUPS printing system:                             [  OK  ]
> >> Starting CUPS printing system:                             [  OK  ]
> >> Re-enabling disabled print queues:
> >>
> >> In the lpstat -t results, two printers appear, one of which was
> >> disconnected
> >> from the system some time ago, but it still appears and I cannot find a
> >> way
> >> to get it deleted.  I tried entering this in the web browser:
> >> http://localhost:631 and the CUPS management page appears. I click on
> >> Printers and selected HPPSC1200 and tried to delete that printer, but I
> >> got this response: "403 Forbidden" as shown in this screen capture:
> >>
> >> http://www.upquick.com/temp/cups.jpg
> >>
> >> How can I get that non-existent printer removed from CUPS?

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**