Same with Dell, they employ guys like Mario Limonciello supporting their hardware that does a lot of compatibility testing and pushes fixes internally with dell for bios and other vendor-supported features. I'd do quick compat checks before buy, but Dell is usually a pretty safe option for linux support I find.

I'd gone with a HP Elitebook for pure power (and 4 dimm slots for cheap 16gb ram) and other than raw performance, it's been an disaster for linux support. ACPI and bios disk functions are broken at best, and they will never fix them because their "userbase is too small". How about just making hardware that doesn't suck? Perfect example of a vendor parasite around linux - happy to use it to sell servers, but nothing else.

-mb