I spent a long time researching and comparing tablets, bought a used ipad
for $300 a month before the ipad3 came out and used ipad prices plummeted
... tried it for a while and experienced all of the good and bad aspects
(plenty of both), so listed it on craigslist for the same price, had lots
of fanboy buyers so sold it instantly.

Then resumed research and comparisons, tried a dozen different tablets,
and finally settled on a Motorola Xoom that I bought like new in a box
with the latest ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android) for $200 on
craigslist.  It initially worked much better and much more impressively
than the ipad, but I have since run into a lot of annoying issues with it.
 So, the jury is still out for me.

Meanwhile, our daughter and son-in-law have ipad 1 and ipad 2
respectively, and in spite of the closed source limitations, I have to
admit that both work vastly superior, overall, to any android tablet.

Motorola tablet tech support has been very responsive, but even so, I
still can't get the Xoom/android ICS tablet to work anywhere nearly as
good as either of the older ipads.  Very, very frustrating.

So, I am now very tempted to go back to a used ipad 2 (in spite of my
disdain for apple) just because it does, indeed, work vastly better than
any android tablet.

See the spec comparison I initially made between ipad and android at these
two links:

http://www.upquick.com/simple/android.htm
http://www.upquick.com/simple/xoom/ivx.htm

Android clearly has better specs.  ipad just works better.