You could use a USB ethernet dongle with an old laptop. Only your LAN side would need to be GigE.

Sounds like you might need another shelf. ;)

I put a vent in the top of my closet (where all networking and servers are) to let the heat out into the room. Works well even w/out a fan, so long as the room ceiling is higher than the closet ceiling.

--
-Eric 'shubes'