From: j...@actionline.com
> Can't believe that I had never heard of CTRL+ESC before.
> Is there some way to save a copy of that list to a text file?

Not that I could find.  However, "top -b -n 1 > top.txt" puts similar info
into top.txt, where you can fool with it in a reasonable way.

> Could not find any file named /var/log/messages

kUbuntu must put that info in a differently named file somewhere in /var/log/
.  Look in there and find where the logs are, because that info will be very
useful at some point in the future.

> but when I click on the menu icon, a desktop firefox icon bounces
> for a few seconds (how to stop that annoying effect?)

System Settings -> Application and System Notifications -> Launch Feedback,
then set it to whatever you like.  There's a *lot* of stuff in KDE's System
Settings application; poke around in there and find as much as you can.  It's
possible that disabling "nepomuk semantic desktop" under Desktop Search would
help, as constantly re-indexing everything in your ~ would use a lot of CPU
and I/O to no real purpose.

> and firefox does not load.

Open a konsole and start firefox from the command line.  It should output
something like "/usr/lib64/libfoobar.so.1 : cannot open shared object file, no
such file or directory", which will give you some idea of what needs to be
fixed.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows