yep. Intel is weird but simple. they use basic thermal compound and a
wire with hooks on the end generally. once you get ram on it boot the
thing up you will learn allot more about it.

Intel has a tool that will help you id stuff on the board for drivers
its pretty good.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Steven A. DuChene
<linux-clust...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> It is a pre-production prototype Intel motherboard and none of the numbers
> printed on the motherboard show up in any research I have been able to do so
> far. I have not yet gone so far as to remove the heat sinks on the non-CPU
> chips on the motherboard to see if they provide any clues.
>
> Has anyone successfully removed a heat sink off of a non-CPU motherboard chip
> and then reinstalled it with no damage to the motherboard? Like the bridge or
> other MB controller chips that have heat sinks held down with spring clips
> that fasten under loops soldered into the motherboard.
> --
> Steven DuChene

Stephen