First, you need a way to know your dynamic ip.  DYNDNS is probably what
you want there.  Or scripts on your home machine to email you whenever
the ip address changes, or something.  (google for dynamic dns:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dynamic%20dns&source=web&cd=1&ved
=0CF8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDynamic_DNS&ei=E9o
qUNSwJKazigKx44CoDg&usg=AFQjCNHmZFYaxBiTegkz4DtZfZ87o2OGgg&cad=rja AS AN
EXAMPLE)

Then, ssh or scp to the machine, assuming you allow those ports to the
world, which probably is not a great idea.  Others can surely give a
more secure approach!

Rusty

let's say I'm at starbucks and I need a file off of the computer at the
house. Please, how do I do it?

condition- I do not have a static ipaddress.