Last year I spent the summer working at the Intel benchmarking center in
Dupont, WA and some of you might recall me posting about some large memory
systems there with 256GB of memory. At the time that was the most memory I had
personally witnessed running in a Linux server (RH6.1 to be exact).

Well this month I am at a national weather & climate research lab in Wyoming
and that memory record has been broken. Here as part of their latest research
cluster purchase they have 17 large memory systems that are used for OpenGL
based visualization. These systems have 1TB of main memory! Unfortunately it
seems that the latest NVidia Quadro 6000 video cards have only a 39bit register
for addressing memory which means there are problems when using them in systems
with 512GB or more of memory.
--
Steven DuChene