Sounds like your device might be getting stuck off. I had a netbook with this problem, the solution was:

After pressing the wifi button and then turning it back on run:

rkfill list

and see if it tells you that anything is soft or hard blocked.

If you see something that is soft blocked, just run:

rkfill unblock 0

Where 0 is the number of the device. It's probably 0 but you might have more than one.

Brian Cluff