From: j...@actionline.com
> How can I reprogram/neutralize that annoying M$ key on a standard
> keyboard? In the past, I have inadvertently hit that key and had it
> lock up my Linux system.  I don't know what it is for anyway

Lock up?  That's weird.  It's usually mapped to a modifier key, one that is
rarely used.  If I type "xev" into a konsole and hit the 'Doze keys, I get
Super_L and Super_R, which are mapped to Modifier 4, which does nothing.  Your
keyboard map may vary.

You can remap a single key to another single key with xmodmap.  If I wanted my
Doze keys to do nothing, I'd do "xmodmap clear Mod4".

> Also, I'd like to neutralize the equally annoying "Caps Lock" key which I
> have *never* used

xmodmap again.  "xmodmap clear Lock" will make the caps lock key do nothing.
You can use additional xmodmap commands to turn that key into another Ctrl
key.

Distros usually have something a bit friendlier that does similar things.  In
KDE4, it's System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced , look at
the Caps Lock and Alt/Win key settings.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows