Go into network connections and remove the one for your neighbors SSID.
Once your system has shown a preference for it (and maybe got an unsecured
connection in the past), it will keep going back there.  Also delete the
one for your own SSID.  That way the card will see both signals but not
show a preference for either.

Then you should be able to select your SSID and enter the :[new] pass
phrase instead of relying on whatever XP has in storage for your network.

What kind of wireless security are you using on upquick (WEP, WPA.
WPA2..._?

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM, <j...@actionline.com> wrote:

> > Are you connected to the right wireless ssid?  Did you mean
> > to connect to upquick instead of the one on the top?
>
> "upquick" is the name I gave to my network, and I've entered the
> security word/passcode that I assigned for it.  It works fine on my
> other wireless computers and devices and has 5 bars signal strength.
>
> That other wireless item, MSKG, keeps forcing itself to the top
> listing, which seems very strange, and it automatically connects
> every time, but won't work without a password, which I don't have.
> It shows only 2 or 3 bars signal strength, so I can't understand
> why it keeps showing up.  I've tried to delete it, but haven't
> been able to. Something seems fishy about it.
>
> And, as I've said, when I boot into kubuntu Linux on the same
> computer, I can connect to my 'upquick' network just fine.
>
> That suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with the computer
> hardware or D-Link wireless adaptor, but something seems to be
> messed up with the win-xp OS.  Could this be caused by a virus?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.