PNG addressed two problems with GIF.
1) GIF is an 8-bit format with an indexed color palette.  It's possible to do
24-bit color by overlaying a red, green, and blue image mask, but it's not
ideal.  PNG is true 24-bit color with better compression.
2) GIF was, for a time, covered by patents on it's LZW compression, held by
UNISYS that limited it's use in many situations.  Those patents are expired in
2003/2004 and there is no longer any patent encumbrance for GIF or LZW
compression.

GIF has built-in support for animation, which PNG does not.  MNG provides
animation of PNG images, and APNG provides a more recent alternative animation
mechanism for PNG images that's easier to create but less efficient in
compression.

I definitely agree that resolution matters most when printing.  A 1080p screen
displays a 2 megapixel image, so more than that is not usually helpful for
onscreen display (4 megapixel is fine for the rare 4K display).

I don't worry much about file size with 32G thumb drives and SD cards now
common.  I figure 4,000 images (8 megapixel PNG) on a single thumb drive or SD
card is more than enough storage for away-from-home use, and at home 2TB backup
drives are pretty cheap these days.

BTW, typically 48 megapixel at 32-bit color (24 bits plus 8 bit alpha) is
considered the minimum to match 35mm film.
The biggest remaining problem in digital is dynamic range (quality film is
usually 3-5 stops, digital struggles to get 2).
The resolution difference isn't considered a big deal in most print
publications (AZ highways is an exception, for good reason), so almost all
professional photography is currently digital capture and workflow.