You might want to just skip the 2.2 and 2.4 tutorials and move to the tutorials for 2.6+ There are a lot less cosmetic/placement issues between those versions. If you are serious about learning it, once you get a grasp of the basics, it will be possible to watch Photoshop tutorials and do the same thing in the gimp, since the tools are usually there and the names are usually the same or similar. If not, a quick search on Google will tell you the equivalent GIMP name

Brian Cluff