I just got the beast rebooted after doing so. The progress indicator got to 44% when the bottom of the screen turned red and numbers started scrolling so fast they were a blur. So I'm guessing the several million errors it found before I rebooted it just might have something to do with it. So I'll send off for another stick of RAM. Then I'll use the old one as something to put on the keyring.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.