> particularly looking for any specific pitfalls to be avoided.  If there
> is any reason why I should not (Or should) look for AMD based laptops
> (like lack of applications/libraries), that would also be very useful.

Do you have any specific model in mind ? With laptop, hardware
compatibility is always an issue, since you can't change h/w as easily
as you could in desktop machines. So ensure that all h/w is supported.

One of the very easy things for this is prepare a knoppix/Ubuntu based
LiveCD and carry it with you in the shop from where you are planning
to buy your laptop.
Boot the specific machine with LiveCD and see if all the features work
as you expect.

I think Ubuntu has good laptop support. Check
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/f-19.html for starters.

Best of Luck with your shopping and do let us know what did you end up
buying. It might be helpful for others who are also planning to buy
laptop.

-DP