On 9/21/05, Alexander Santiago <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
we people here(in PLUG) have done that sharing  CDs/information about the open source.

but how can someone migrate to open source when every month you are mandated to input information to an M$ Access file (program?) by the gov.

an every month you are mandated to e-pay/e-file returns on a site that requires M$ Internet Explorer.

Solutions
1. use M$ Office and M$ Internet Explorer that runs on M$ Windows.

2. Tell the government about it. (not being a hero, but doing one's part)

Now is there any solution for that?
Or is there someone here knows how to access/run an M$ Access file on linux?

This is precisely the point. I've been talking with internet shop owners (after migrating two of them) and we've been discussing that if Linux would be the choice, then let all internet shops use Linux. They seem to agree of course because they can't afford licensing all the software they currently use. That way the customers has no other choice to but to learn and use it. The only problem is that the students (who belong to the high percentage of customers) are taught Windows and other related software in school. So I asked around who makes the curriculum for IT subjects in public high schools and found out that there are no established programs for this. The teachers teach whatever the DepEd provide them as teaching materials.

If open source would be adopted by government through due process, i.e., pass bill in congresss, then we would have a more solid program for the use of OSS. There is no harm in helping out in small ways spread the use of OSS in the community, but a mandate from the executive branch will be more effective.

This is not being a hero. This is common sense.

--
Irvin
http://netgarage.ne1.net