Hi jhuniepi! =)

On 6/5/06, jhuniepi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
i downloaded source files in .tar.gz format. i want to make it into
.rpm for rh9 so that i can install it using rpm. i prefer to use rpm
than make && make install because rpm has a database which you can
query for installed programs and can easily uninstall it.

Hmmm, speaking of package databases, have you ever used stow?[0] While
it's not as sophisticated as true package management systems like RPM
and dpkg, it is still pretty useful as a manager for locally-installed
software; I use it myself in managing stuff I use from CVS repositories,
like Emacs 22 and MPlayer.

[0]  http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/

At least with stow, you save yourself the pain of making spec files and
such (although I suppose there are clones of tools like dh_make that
works for RPM...)

HTH,

Zakame

--
Zak B. Elep  ||  http://zakame.spunge.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ||  [EMAIL PROTECTED]