Yes it would be feasible but I will not encourage you to create another Desktop Distro create a server distro which handles single sign on, and autonomic functions. I work for an open source company who developed the Intel Architecture 8, and we are in the process of releasing an Open Source version of it called Open IA8 codenamed "boy chop-chop", we are pretty much open to share the things we have done since it is our duty to teach what we have learned to other promising students such as you.

Anyway do drop me an email or text my mobile # in my signature below so we could talk more and I will invite you and your team to our office so we could show you and teach you what we have done so far so you could improve it and share it to other people.

On 7/11/06, Dean Michael Berris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/4/06, Jay Javier <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is this feasible? What would be the complications to be expected? and
> the benefits? Can this be accomplished by IT students with limited
> knowledge in linux but is willing to learn and explore? If one
> customizes an existing distro, can it be considered as another separate
> distro?

Feasible? Yes.
Complications? Lots of work.
Benefits? Very little.
Can it be accomplished by IT students with limited knowledge in Linux
but is willing to learn and explore? Yes -- but it depends if you want
to graduate on time, or spend overtime on it.
Is customizing an existing distro considered another distro? Yes and
no, but it really doesn't matter too much nowadays.

> Any tips on where to begin. Have googled for this subject, but it seems
> the how-tos are geared toward those with advanced proficiency.

Tip: Start looking for a different thesis.

> I believe this will make a very good thesis, though.

In my opinion, focus your energies on _real_ challenges: those that
will gauge what you've learned or want to learn more about in your
chosen field. Try coming up with your own algorithm, your own
heuristic, and dive into the deeper end of the pool: come up with a
better solution to a problem that you think you have a better way of
solving.

Making your own distro only shows that you can read documentation and
follow instructions: without actually doing too much of any thinking.

But of course, it depends on your adviser if he/she will let you do
something like creating your own Linux distro that pretty much does
whatever every other distro out there is already doing -- unless you
plan to build one for your cellular phone or handheld device, which
can be considered a more challenging endeavor.

> For your opinions.
>

> Salamat

You're welcome. ;)

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
C/C++ Software Architect

Deo Dax Sillero - Cordova
Senior Linux Solutions Architect / Certified Scalix Engineer
8Layer Technologies Inc.
M  0922 500 5186
http://www.8layertech.com