On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 10:21 +0800, Zak B. Elep wrote:
>   <sarc>First, they removed Emacs, and now they cripple vim! What a
>   shame!</sarc>

And then the default editor is nano.  It's probably a usability thing.
Ubuntu desktop aims to be a non-geek desktop.  Only geeks like vi and
it's mode-full descendants.  So they put vim-tiny in so that there's a
vi (and it doesn't take a lot of space on the install CD) and then they
let everyone else use nano by default.

Does anyone have links to a developer centric but still desktop ubuntu
variant?  I don't mind downloading postgresql and php and java and gcc/g
++ and everything else, but if I had them on the install DVD that would
be a lot better.

tiger