But there are some things you really need a desktop for:

1. 4GB of RAM - great for doing simultaneous VMs (VMWare or Xen)
   Memory is cheap, load up and go 64-bit. Great for trying out new distros
   and doing large development work (e.g. databases with huge data)

2. RAID - most desktop motherboards now support 4+SATA ports (with free
    builtin RAID) plus the usual IDE. Great for storing those StarTrek/Stargate
    movie files. Use the IDE for the CDROM and DVD Burners

3. 20+" LCD - expensive maybe (~15K Php - LG L226WTQ Widescreen 22 Inch)
    but nothing can beat the gaming experience. And extra screen area can make
    for a more productive dev environment

Ambo

Miguel Paraz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 7/19/07, Taong Bahay  wrote:
> The site has serial numbers for some of the same models. How do you
> know which one is the low power version (35 vs. 62 watt)? For example,
> there are three different Sempron 3400+:

I'm afraid we can't be sure before buying - until the X2 BE comes out,
when oh when.

Anyway, back to the topic... looks like I'll get a cheap Core Duo
laptop instead. The price difference between this with a budget Core2
Conroe desktop (without scrimping on the case and PSU) isn't much.