On Tuesday 27 November 2007 1:45:10 pm Danny Ching wrote:
> I know that 64bit can access more memory, and that 64bit is supposed to
> make multimedia processing faster. My question is: What advantage does 64
> bit CPU's like the Intel Core 2 Duos, or AMD x2's have over vanilla 32 bit
> CPU's (if both have say 2GB of RAM)? Will there be a noticeable difference
> if all I do is browse, and use office apps? How about gimp (does it have to
> be an extremely large project to be able to notice the difference)?

64-bit computers process data in larger chunks than 32-bit - so everything
comes into place, not just the amount of memory that you have installed. This
will also depend on the software you're running. If it's 64-bit, then it'll
perform much much faster even if compared on a 32-bit machine with more ram
and faster cpu. I still don't think you'll notice performance increase if
you're running office apps while browsing the web - better stick with 32-bit
for this. But if you're doing heavy multimedia stuff like editing videos and
audios, that's when you'll notice a big difference. Files loads and saves
faster, and processing effects are instant.

GIMP? Unless you're editing a 100MB file.
Blender? Hell yes!

But then again, you need 64-bit drivers and software too if you're thinking of
getting one. Also see the Wikipedia article on 64-bit computing[1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

--
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://knightlust.com/